Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Americas Award


I was in DC this past weekend to recieve the Americas Award for my illustrations in Poet Slave Of Cuba along with the author Margarita Engle. The award ceremony took place in The Library of Congress. Margarita was very appreciative and grateful to receive the original cover art as a gift from me and it was a pleasure for me to finally meet her. The book is listed for middle readers but is also an excellent read for adults. An award was also given to Jennifer Riesmeyer Elvgren and Nicole Tadgell for their book Josias, Hold the Book.
Here are a few more images from Poet Slave.
I finished work for the book in Sept/ Oct. 2006. Around the same time I finished art for Dizzy and How We Are Smart.
The book was fun to work on because no photos of Juan Francisco Manzano exist and the art was to be suggestive and poetic rather than narrative.


















No comments: